- Report: Stanford DC Derek Mason to be named Vanderbilt coachPosted 1 day ago
- Ex- Wake Forest coach Jim Grobe to interview at UABPosted 1 day ago
- Alabama’s DB coach resigns; Saban shuffles defensive staffPosted 3 days ago
- Florida State DC Jeremy Pruitt leaves for GeorgiaPosted 4 days ago
- Alabama junior safety Vinnie Sunseri declares for NFL DraftPosted 5 days ago
- UMass hires Mark Whipple as head coachPosted 6 days ago
- Report: Saban officially hires Kiffin as Bama’s offensive coordinatorPosted 1 week ago
- Western Kentucky names Jeff Brohm head coachPosted 1 week ago
- UAB head coach Garrick McGee bolts to become Louisville OCPosted 1 week ago
- Reports: James Franklin will be next Penn State coachPosted 1 week ago
Schefter: Derek Dooley to the Cowboys
On Friday, we joked that former SEC head coaches Gene Chizik and Derek Dooley had found employment. We noted that the work – serving as guest analysts during ESPNU’s coverage of National Signing Day – was very temporary.
Well, it looks like one of those two has found something that will at least last longer than one day.
ESPN’s Adam Schefter says that the Dallas Cowboys will hire former Tennessee head coach Derek Dooley as wide receivers coach.
Schefter’s report came via Twitter early Saturday evening:
Dooley was fired after a 4-7 season in which the Vols finished 0-7 in the SEC. In three years at Tennessee, Dooley compiled a 15-21 record and was just 4-19 in conference games. Prior to his stint in Knoxville, Dooley was head coach at Louisiana Tech from 2007-09 where he had a 17-20 record.
Dooley and Cowboys’ head coach Jason Garrett are good friends and coached together during Dooley’s only NFL gig. The pair worked under Nick Saban on his Miami Dolphins teams from 2005-06, with Dooley coaching tight ends and Garrett serving as quarterbacks coach.
Before his stint with the Dolphins, Dooley coached with Saban at LSU for five seasons. He served as tight ends coach and recruiting coordinator from 2000-2002 and running backs and special teams coach from 2002-04.
A former walk-on wide receiver at the University of Virginia, Dooley coached receivers at SMU from 1997-99.