- Report: Stanford DC Derek Mason to be named Vanderbilt coachPosted 2 days ago
- Ex- Wake Forest coach Jim Grobe to interview at UABPosted 2 days ago
- Alabama’s DB coach resigns; Saban shuffles defensive staffPosted 4 days ago
- Florida State DC Jeremy Pruitt leaves for GeorgiaPosted 5 days ago
- Alabama junior safety Vinnie Sunseri declares for NFL DraftPosted 6 days ago
- UMass hires Mark Whipple as head coachPosted 1 week ago
- Report: Saban officially hires Kiffin as Bama’s offensive coordinatorPosted 1 week ago
- Western Kentucky names Jeff Brohm head coachPosted 1 week ago
- UAB head coach Garrick McGee bolts to become Louisville OCPosted 1 week ago
- Reports: James Franklin will be next Penn State coachPosted 1 week ago
UAB loses six commitments in a single weekend
No matter how bad it may have seemed, chances are your had a better weekend than Garrick McGee.
The UAB coach saw an astonishing six Blazers verbal commitments change their allegiance to other schools.
That’s not a typo. UAB had six commits flip to other schools in the 48 hour period between Sunday-Monday.
Three of the recruits were from Birmingham, the school’s hometown. One of them had been committed since July, two others since September.
When the sun came up Tuesday morning, the Blazers were left with just 15 commitments and a coaching staff that had to be scratching their heads.
It’s hard to imagine losing nearly one third of a recruiting class with just over a week left until signing day, but that’s exactly the situation that McGee and the Blazer staff face. (UAB did sign two recruits in December that have already enrolled.)
The Blazers lost three assistants this off season, and that certainly played a role in this weekend’s defections.
Offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Jeff Brohm left to work for his college head coach and mentor Bobby Petrino at Western Kentucky, while recruiting coordinator Tyson Helton joined Tommy Tuberville’s staff at Cincinnati. Receivers coach Ron Sigler resigned after the season. (One of the recruits, defensive end Kalvin Robinson of Vestavia, Ala., switched to Brohm’s new school.)
McGee promoted tight ends coach Richard Owens to offensive coordinator and brought in Arkansas graduate assistant Joseph Henry to take over the role of tight ends coach. There is still one staff spot open.
Though it’s hard to judge whether the sudden rash of decommitments is a sign of a program in turmoil or merely a function of bad timing and the general wackiness that has been the 2013 recruiting cycle, it’s clear that the staff turnover done damage.
With time quickly running out, McGee and company have to hope their luck takes a turn for the better. After last weekend, it certainly can’t get any worse.
UAB Weekend Decommits
T.J. Green (2-star ATH/KR, Sylacauga, Ala.) – Committed since Oct., flipped to Clemson
Trey Lamastus (2-star C/DS, Monroe, La.) – Committed since Dec., flipped to ULM
Julius McCall (2-star RB/ATH, Chelsea, Ala.) – Committed since July, flipped to Troy
Nick Mullens (2-star QB, Hoover, Ala.) – Committed since Dec., flipped to Southern Miss
Kalvin Robinson (2-star DE, Vestavia, Ala.) – Committed since Sept., flipped to WKU