- Record-setting number of players leaving early for 2014 NFL DraftPosted 23 hours ago
- Report: Stanford DC Derek Mason to be named Vanderbilt coachPosted 4 days ago
- Ex- Wake Forest coach Jim Grobe to interview at UABPosted 4 days ago
- Alabama’s DB coach resigns; Saban shuffles defensive staffPosted 6 days ago
- Florida State DC Jeremy Pruitt leaves for GeorgiaPosted 7 days ago
- Alabama junior safety Vinnie Sunseri declares for NFL DraftPosted 1 week ago
- UMass hires Mark Whipple as head coachPosted 1 week ago
- Report: Saban officially hires Kiffin as Bama’s offensive coordinatorPosted 2 weeks ago
- Western Kentucky names Jeff Brohm head coachPosted 2 weeks ago
- UAB head coach Garrick McGee bolts to become Louisville OCPosted 2 weeks ago
Dantonio hires Ron Burton as defensive line coach
Michigan State has hired Ron Burton from Air Force as defensive line coach.
A 21-year coaching vet, Burton joins the Spartans’ staff after spending the past 10 seasons at with the Falcons.
“He was simply dynamic during the entire interview process,” Mark Dantonio said. “We had an opportunity to share some ideas last year in a professional development setting, and we believe Ron is a natural fit in terms of defensive terminology and concepts. He also brings great energy and management skills to the coaching staff. We look forward to seeing Ron interact with our players and watching our defensive linemen thrive under his teaching.”
Burton believes the marriage is a good fit all the way around.
“We sat and talked football, and I was simply amazed at how the staff handled things,” he said. “I also had heard so many positives about Coach Dantonio from my peers – they all talked about his leadership and how he promoted a family atmosphere. Well, I got a first-hand glimpse of how the defensive staff did interact like a family.”
Burton has experience coaching in the state of Michigan and in the Big Ten. He coached the defensive lines at both Grand Valley State and Eastern Michigan, and was part of a D-II national championship at GVSU in 2002. Prior to Grand Valley, Burton was the linebackers coach at Indiana for five seasons (1997-01).
Burton was a standout player at North Carolina and spent four seasons in the NFL.