- UAB hires Jacksonville State’s Bill Clark as head coachPosted 1 week ago
- Record-setting number of players leaving early for 2014 NFL DraftPosted 2 weeks ago
- Report: Stanford DC Derek Mason to be named Vanderbilt coachPosted 2 weeks ago
- Ex- Wake Forest coach Jim Grobe to interview at UABPosted 2 weeks ago
- Alabama’s DB coach resigns; Saban shuffles defensive staffPosted 2 weeks ago
- Florida State DC Jeremy Pruitt leaves for GeorgiaPosted 2 weeks ago
- Alabama junior safety Vinnie Sunseri declares for NFL DraftPosted 3 weeks ago
- UMass hires Mark Whipple as head coachPosted 3 weeks ago
- Report: Saban officially hires Kiffin as Bama’s offensive coordinatorPosted 3 weeks ago
- Western Kentucky names Jeff Brohm head coachPosted 3 weeks ago
Saints choose Rob Ryan; Grantham will remain at Georgia
On Wednesday, we reported that Georgia defensive coordinator Todd Grantham was likely headed to the NFL.
Grantham was in consideration for both of the NFL coordinator jobs open at the time, but both of those jobs went to other candidates and Grantham announced that he will return to Athens.
Chip Kelly filled the Philadelphia opening by hiring Browns’ linebackers coach Billy Davis on Wednesday. Grantham interviewed with the Saints on Thursday, but Sean Payton hired former Dallas defensive coordinator Rob Ryan, long speculated to be the leading candidate.
Following the interview, Grantham learned that Ryan was going to be the Saints’ choice, and then announced that he would return to Georgia.
“As I said Wednesday, Georgia is a great place, my family loves it here, and I do as well,” Grantham told the Athens Banner-Herald. “This is where our heart is and today I have withdrawn from consideration for the position with the Saints. I’m excited to start preparations for another season and along with the rest of our defensive staff look forward to coaching some really good returning players as well as developing some very talented newcomers.”
Grantham coached in the NFL for 11 seasons with the Colts, Cowboys, Texans and Browns before coming to Georgia. Grantham is very well regarded in NFL circles and sources indicate that he would like to coach again at the professional level.