- UAB hires Jacksonville State’s Bill Clark as head coachPosted 4 days ago
- Record-setting number of players leaving early for 2014 NFL DraftPosted 5 days ago
- Report: Stanford DC Derek Mason to be named Vanderbilt coachPosted 1 week ago
- Ex- Wake Forest coach Jim Grobe to interview at UABPosted 1 week ago
- Alabama’s DB coach resigns; Saban shuffles defensive staffPosted 1 week ago
- Florida State DC Jeremy Pruitt leaves for GeorgiaPosted 2 weeks ago
- Alabama junior safety Vinnie Sunseri declares for NFL DraftPosted 2 weeks ago
- UMass hires Mark Whipple as head coachPosted 2 weeks ago
- Report: Saban officially hires Kiffin as Bama’s offensive coordinatorPosted 2 weeks ago
- Western Kentucky names Jeff Brohm head coachPosted 2 weeks ago
Ex-Oklahoma assistant Patton hired at Indiana
Indiana head coach Kevin Wilson has hired James Patton as recruiting coordinator, special teams coordinator and assistant defensive line coach.
Patton has been an assistant at Oklahoma since 2006, joining the Sooners’ staff when Wilson, then-OU offensive line coach, took over for Chuck Long as offensive coordinator.
Patton and Wilson’s relationship dates back to the early 90s when Patton played wide receiver at Miami (Ohio) and Wilson served as the RedHawks’ offensive line coach. Wilson then served as a graduate assistant under Wilson in 1994-95.
Wilson is excited to have Patton in Bloomington.
“James was one of the toughest players that I’ve ever coached, and he is an enthusiastic, hard-working football coach,” Wilson said in a statement. “He has been in the big time arena, is a Midwest guy and brings some balance to our staff.”
Patton remained in Norman when Wilson left to become the IU head coach after the 2010 season, but he was reassigned to coach guards and centers only. Stoops promoted on-campus recruiting coordinator Bruce Kittle to coach tackles and tight ends at the time.
A source said that Stoops told Patton earlier this week that he needed to find a new job.
Jon Fabris, who coached defensive ends coach and oversaw punt return and block in 2012, will assume the responsibility of defensive line coach with no special teams duties.