- Report: Stanford DC Derek Mason to be named Vanderbilt coachPosted 2 days ago
- Ex- Wake Forest coach Jim Grobe to interview at UABPosted 2 days ago
- Alabama’s DB coach resigns; Saban shuffles defensive staffPosted 4 days ago
- Florida State DC Jeremy Pruitt leaves for GeorgiaPosted 5 days ago
- Alabama junior safety Vinnie Sunseri declares for NFL DraftPosted 6 days ago
- UMass hires Mark Whipple as head coachPosted 7 days ago
- Report: Saban officially hires Kiffin as Bama’s offensive coordinatorPosted 1 week ago
- Western Kentucky names Jeff Brohm head coachPosted 1 week ago
- UAB head coach Garrick McGee bolts to become Louisville OCPosted 1 week ago
- Reports: James Franklin will be next Penn State coachPosted 1 week ago
The Coaching Wire: Thursday, Feb. 14, 2013
Hawkins will be Montreal Alouettes coach
Dan Hawkins will be named head coach of the CFL’s Montreal Alouettes, according the Montreal Gazette. Hawkins was head coach at Boise State between 2001-05 and then Colorado, from 2006-10. He compiled an overall record of 112-61-1.
Hawkins was fired at Colorado in November 2010 and has been out of coaching since.
A source told the Gazette’s that Hawkins will name ex-Arizona Cardinals co-offensive coordinator Mike Miller as the Alouettes’ offensive co-ordinator. Miller had interviewed for the head coaching job.
Montreal GM Jim Popp and owner Robert Wetenhall have interviewed a number of candidates. Others known to have interviewed over the past month were Danny Maciocia, former GM and head coach of the Edmonton Eskimos; Jim Zorn, former Washington Redskins head coach; Turk Schonert, head coach of the UFL’s Sacramento Mountain Lions; Steve Fairchild, recently-hired offensive coordinator at Virginia.
Mark Washington, the British Columbia Lions’ secondary coach along and longtime NFL assistants Bob Bratkowski and Terry Robiskie were also interviewed previously.
Hawkins replaces Marc Trestman, who was named Chicago Bears head coach. Trestman coached Montreal since 2008 and led the club to two consecutive Grey Cup championships.
Ron West announced as part of North Carolina staff
Former Arizona State assistant Ron West has been officially announced as Larry Fedora’s co-defensive coordinator and linebackers coach at North Carolina. Read the release here, and our article from last week here.
Dan Clark hired at Illinois State
Illinois State head coach Brock Spack completed his coaching staff Wednesday with the hiring of Dan Clark as assistant offensive line coach. Clark comes to Illinois State after serving as the tight ends coach at Northern Iowa for the past three seasons. Clark fills the spot vacated by Sheldon Cross, who left to take an assistant coach position at Idaho State. Current assistant Greg McLain will take the role of tight ends/H-backs coach and Clark will assist offensive coordinator George Barnett with the Redbird offensive line.