- UAB hires Jacksonville State’s Bill Clark as head coachPosted 3 weeks ago
- Record-setting number of players leaving early for 2014 NFL DraftPosted 3 weeks ago
- Report: Stanford DC Derek Mason to be named Vanderbilt coachPosted 3 weeks ago
- Ex- Wake Forest coach Jim Grobe to interview at UABPosted 3 weeks ago
- Alabama’s DB coach resigns; Saban shuffles defensive staffPosted 3 weeks ago
- Florida State DC Jeremy Pruitt leaves for GeorgiaPosted 4 weeks ago
- Alabama junior safety Vinnie Sunseri declares for NFL DraftPosted 4 weeks ago
- UMass hires Mark Whipple as head coachPosted 4 weeks ago
- Report: Saban officially hires Kiffin as Bama’s offensive coordinatorPosted 4 weeks ago
- Western Kentucky names Jeff Brohm head coachPosted 4 weeks ago
Neinas will be Colorado's special teams coach
Colorado head coach Mike MacIntyre will tab Toby Neinas as special teams coach.
Neinas spent last season as secondary coach on Rob Ash’s staff at Montana State. Before that, he spent three seasons with Mike Locksley at New Mexico. Neinas coached special teams (2009-10) and linebackers (2009-11) and was promoted to defensive coordinator in 2011. He has significant experience recruiting California (especially the Inland Empire schools), Colorado and Texas.
Neinas has five years experience as a special teams coach, and understands the importance of that phase of the game.
“There are so many opportunities for huge swings in momentum,” Neinas said during his tenure at New Mexico. “You want very good players out there on your special teams.”
“I think if you asked most football teams, you’ll find out that the punt is one of the most important plays in the game. We work on punt every day.”
Neinas spent three seasons at San Diego State coaching special teams (2006-08), outside linebackers (2008) and tight ends (2206-07). He also coached at Temple and UAB after getting his start as a grad assistant at North Carolina.
A native of Boulder, his father, Chuck Neinas, is former interim commissioner of the Big 12 Conference (2011-12) and was the commissioner of the Big Eight Conference from 1971 to 1980.
The hire will complete MacIntyre’s 2013 staff.
|2009-11||New Mexico||DC (’11), LB (’09-11), ST (’09-10)|
|2006-08||San Diego State||ST (’06-08), OLB (’08), TE (’06-07)|
|2002-05||Temple||ILB (’04-05), DL (’02-03)|
|1996-2001||UAB||RB/TE (’01), S (’99-00), DE (’97-98), OLB (’96)|
|1995||North Carolina||Grad Assistant (Secondary)|