- Report: Stanford DC Derek Mason to be named Vanderbilt coachPosted 14 hours ago
- Ex- Wake Forest coach Jim Grobe to interview at UABPosted 15 hours ago
- Alabama’s DB coach resigns; Saban shuffles defensive staffPosted 2 days ago
- Florida State DC Jeremy Pruitt leaves for GeorgiaPosted 3 days ago
- Alabama junior safety Vinnie Sunseri declares for NFL DraftPosted 5 days ago
- UMass hires Mark Whipple as head coachPosted 5 days ago
- Report: Saban officially hires Kiffin as Bama’s offensive coordinatorPosted 1 week ago
- Western Kentucky names Jeff Brohm head coachPosted 1 week ago
- UAB head coach Garrick McGee bolts to become Louisville OCPosted 1 week ago
- Reports: James Franklin will be next Penn State coachPosted 1 week ago
The Coaching Wire: Friday, Feb. 22, 2013
Illinois cornerbacks coach Steve Clinkscale is leaving to join Tommy Tuberville’s staff at Cincinnati.
The move was rumored earlier this week, but the deal was finally completed on Friday. Clinkscale joined Tim Beckman’s Illini staff in January 2012 and after spending three seasons at Toledo. He coached cornerbacks his last two years with the Rockets.
Prior to Toledo, Clinkscale spent one year at Western Carolina (2008) and seven seasons at Division II Ashland (2001-07). In his only season at Western Carolina, Clinkscale worked with the Catamount defensive backs in addition to serving as Western’s academic liaison.
Clinkscale is a native of Youngstown, Ohio. He earned $150,000 at Illinois last year.
Kotelnicki promoted to defensive coordinator at North Dakota
North Dakota head coach Chris Mussman promoted Josh Kotelnicki to defensive coordinator. He has been the team’s special teams coordinator and linebackers coach the past five seasons. Kotelnicki, who also holds the title of assistant head coach, takes over for Mike Mannausau who became UND’s Champions Club Executive Director. Kotelnicki has one prior season as a defensive coordinator at the collegiate level, serving in that post at Truman State during the 2006 season. Kotelnicki was a standout linebacker for the Fighting Sioux and a team captain on the 2001 Division II National Championship team.
Gus Malzahn adds another off-the-field staff member
Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn has added another off-the-field staff member. Eric Link, who coached tight ends the past two seasons at Montana State, will join Malzahn’s staff in an unspecified role. Link also coached the Bobcats’ special teams in 2012. This will be Link’s second stint at Auburn. He served as special teams quality control on the Tigers’ 2010 BCS National Championship team.
Link was Gene Chizik’s assistant director of football operations at Iowa State in 2007-08 and was an offensive line graduate assistant with the Cyclones in 2006. In between Iowa State and his first move to Auburn, he was offensive line coach and run game coordinator at Keller (Tex.) High School. A three-year starter at Drake, Link was a graduate assistant there working with the defensive line in 2004 and was the Bulldog’s defensive line coach in 2005.
Curt Baldus joins Coastal Carolina staff
Coastal Carolina coach Joe Moglia has hired Curt Baldus to coach specialists and assist with defense. Baldus spent the past five seasons at Nebraska as a graduate assistant (2008-10) and defensive and special teams intern (2011-12). It was the second stint with the Huskers for Baldus, who served as an offensive intern in 2006. Baldus spent the 2007 season at Buffalo, working with the offensive line, kickers and punters. He began his coaching career as a graduate assistant at St. Cloud State from 2002-04.