- Report: Stanford DC Derek Mason to be named Vanderbilt coachPosted 2 days ago
- Ex- Wake Forest coach Jim Grobe to interview at UABPosted 2 days ago
- Alabama’s DB coach resigns; Saban shuffles defensive staffPosted 3 days ago
- Florida State DC Jeremy Pruitt leaves for GeorgiaPosted 4 days ago
- Alabama junior safety Vinnie Sunseri declares for NFL DraftPosted 6 days ago
- UMass hires Mark Whipple as head coachPosted 6 days ago
- Report: Saban officially hires Kiffin as Bama’s offensive coordinatorPosted 1 week ago
- Western Kentucky names Jeff Brohm head coachPosted 1 week ago
- UAB head coach Garrick McGee bolts to become Louisville OCPosted 1 week ago
- Reports: James Franklin will be next Penn State coachPosted 1 week ago
Vols hire Gillespie as running backs coach
Tennessee head coach Butch Jones has hired Robert Gillespie as running backs coach.
Gillespie spent the past two seasons on Dana Holgorsen’s staff at West Virginia. He joined Holgorsen from Oklahoma State, where he coached two seasons (2009-10).
A Hattiesburg, Miss. native, Gillespie is very familiar with the SEC. He played at Florida and coached at South Carolina.
Gillespie joined Steve Spurrier’s staff as a graduate assistant in 2005 and was hired full time a year later. He served as the Gamecocks’ running backs coach through the 2008 season.
Gillespie earned awards from all three major recruiting services for his work on the 2012 recruiting class. He was named Scout.com’s Big East Recruiter of the Year, sharing the honor with fellow West Virginia assistant Daron Roberts; one of the Big East’s Top 10 recruiters by Rivals.com and a Top 50 recruiter by 247sports.com.
In that class alone, he played a key role in landing at least eight prospects from the state of Florida.
“Robert is a high-energy coach who will get the most out of his players, and he also has a great reputation in the coaching profession as a relentless recruiter,” Jones said in a statement.
He replaces Jay Graham, who left last week for the same position at Florida State.
Gillespie earned $301,000 last season. Graham’s salary at Tennessee was $225,000.