The Wire: Wednesday, March 27, 2013
UAB: Matt Sanders has been hired as special teams and assistant secondary coach. Sanders, who played at Louisville, coached inside linebackers at Lehigh at season. The Blazers started spring practice today with four new coaches. Below is a rundown the staff, their responsibilities and previous positions:
- Richard Owens, Offensive coordinator, Wide receivers (UAB, Tight ends)
- John Peterson, Offensive line (UAB, Offensive line)
- Eric Evans, Running backs (Albany, Wide receivers)
- Joe Henry, Tight ends (Arkansas, Graduate assistant)
- Reggie Johnson, Defensive coordinator, Outside linebackers (UAB)
- Kevin Peoples, Defensive line, Recruiting coordinator (Arkansas, Defensive tackles)
- Jimmy Williams, Assistant head coach, Inside linebackers (UAB, Defensive line)
- Brandon Sharp, Secondary (UAB, Safeties)
- Matt Sanders, Special teams, Assistant secondary (Lehigh, Inside linebackers)
**Head coach Garrick McGee will coach quarterbacks along with GA Bryan Ellis.
Marshall: Doc Holliday announced that Sean Cronin will be defensive ends coach. Cronin, who was the Herd’s defensive line coach in 2010, served the same role at Temple the past two seasons. Cronin, who is the son-in-law of Marshall defensive coordinator Chuck Heater, returned to the school in December but his role was not yet known.
Notre Dame: Director of player personnel Tim McDonnell has been hired as a scout by the New York Giants, according to the Chicago Tribune’s Brian Hamilton. McDonnell spent the last eight seasons at Notre Dame, beginning as a quality control coordinator under Charlie Weis in 2006. He’s the grandson of the late Wellington Mara, the former Giants’ president.
Ferris State (D-II): Head coach Tony Annese has named Lou Esposito as defensive coordinator. Esposito spent the last three seasons as defensive line coach and recruiting coordinator on Bill Cubit’s Western Michigan staff. Esposito, who was an offensive lineman at Memphis and later with the now-defunct Memphis Xplorers of the AFL, was head coach at D-II Saint Joseph’s (Ind.) for five seasons prior to Western Michigan.
Towson (FCS): Jared Ambrose has been promoted to offensive coordinator. Ambrose joined the Towson staff in 2009 as tight ends coach and was promoted to quarterbacks coach in 2011. Prior to Towson, he was a graduate assistant at Delaware in 2007-08.