Savannah State fires Steve Davenport; Corey Barlow named interim coach
[dropcap]S[/dropcap]avannah State has let go of head coach Steve Davenport.
Athletic director Sterling Steward Jr. announced today that Davenport and the remainder of the staff save for cornerbacks coach Corey Barlow has been let go, effective immediately.
Barlow has been named interim head coach.
“We wish Coach Davenport and his staff success with all their future endeavors,” Steward said in a statement.
Davenport took over the program in 2011. The Tigers went 1-10 in each of his two seasons. Prior to Savannah State, Davenport was running backs coach at UAB from 2006-2010.
Barlow, a former All-American cornerback at Auburn, worked alongside Davenport at UAB as the Blazers’ cornerbacks coach before coming to Savannah State.
He coached previously at Rhode Island and Morehouse, as well as Southside High School in Atlanta.
The other members of Davenport’s staff included:
- Greg Lester, Assistant head coach / Outside receivers
- Terance Mathis, Offensive Ccordinator / Inside receivers
- Saeed Khalif, Defensive coordinator / Defensive line
- Thomas Balkcom, Defensive backs
- William Bell, Running backs
- David Roberson, Linebackers
- Darrell Hackney, Quarterbacks
- Broderick Jones, Offensive graduate assistant
- Aaron High, Strength and conditioning / Defensive graduate assistant
Photo credit: Steve Cannon / AP