- UAB hires Jacksonville State’s Bill Clark as head coachPosted 5 days ago
- Record-setting number of players leaving early for 2014 NFL DraftPosted 6 days ago
- Report: Stanford DC Derek Mason to be named Vanderbilt coachPosted 1 week ago
- Ex- Wake Forest coach Jim Grobe to interview at UABPosted 1 week ago
- Alabama’s DB coach resigns; Saban shuffles defensive staffPosted 2 weeks ago
- Florida State DC Jeremy Pruitt leaves for GeorgiaPosted 2 weeks ago
- Alabama junior safety Vinnie Sunseri declares for NFL DraftPosted 2 weeks ago
- UMass hires Mark Whipple as head coachPosted 2 weeks ago
- Report: Saban officially hires Kiffin as Bama’s offensive coordinatorPosted 2 weeks ago
- Western Kentucky names Jeff Brohm head coachPosted 2 weeks ago
Minnesota linebacker Lamonte Edwards booted from team
Minnesota linebacker Lamonte Edwards has been kicked off the team.
According to a Minneapolis Star Tribune report, an iPhone belonging to another Minnesota athlete was stolen from a weight room inside the Gophers athletics building on June 18. The phone’s tracking software led police to Edwards.
Edwards first told police that the phone belonged to his cousin, but later admitted he stole the phone from the weight room.
Charges from the Minneapolis City Attorney’s Office are pending.
The 6-foot-2, 214-pound junior was a highly recruited running back out of Woodbury, Minn. After redshirting in 2010, he moved to linebacker four games into the 2011 season.
Edwards played in 11 games as a sophomore last season, earning one start. He finished the year with eight tackles.
Photo: Minnesota Athletics