UPDATE: Kentucky DB cited for DUI after horrific car accident

UPDATE: Kentucky DB cited for DUI after horrific car accident

[dropcap]A[/dropcap] little more than two months after a car accident left him in the intensive care unit, Kentucky junior defensive back Ashely Lowery has been cleared to resume workouts.

Ashely Lowery's vehicle (Photo from Doug Stutsman via Louisville Courier-Journal)

Ashely Lowery’s vehicle (Photo from Doug Stutsman via Louisville Courier-Journal)

Judging by the condition of his car and the fact that he was not wearing a seat belt, Lowery is fortunate to be alive much less able to workout and play football.

But team doctors have given Lowery the OK to begin working out again.

“He’s allowed to do workouts with his teammates at his own pace,” UK spokesman Tony Neely said on Monday. “The High Performance staff will evaluate his fitness level as it works with him.”

Lowery started eight games at safety as a true sophomore in 2012, finishing fifth on the team with 43 tackles. He missed four games with concussion-like symptoms.

He is projected to start again for first-year coach Mark Stoops this fall.

A junior from Cleveland, Ga., Lowery returned home in early May. Around 4 a.m. Saturday, May 4, he flipped his 2006 Nissan Altima and was ejected, landing 100 feet from the vehicle.

Lowery was initially listed in critical but stable condition following the wreck, but his injuries were quickly downgraded and not considered life threatening.

He was released from the hospital about a week after the accident with only bumps and bruises.

UPDATE: Lowery has been cited for driving under the influence after the wreck, according to the Lexington Herald-Leader.

According to a crash report from Georgia State Patrol, a urine test performed on Lowery at Northeast Georgia Medical Center two hours after the crash showed his blood-alcohol level at 0.139. The legal limit in the state is 0.08.

UK spokesman Tony Neely told the newspaper that Lowery is still with the team.

“We’ll let the legal process take its course and address it at the appropriate time,” Wildcats coach Mark Stoops said in a statement Wednesday.

No court date has been set and it could take six months to a year to go to court, a White County, Ga. clerk told the paper.

Related Posts
Will the new Oklahoma defensive line coach also have Arizona ties?
NCAA hits Mississippi State with two-year probation; Former assistant gets show-cause
The Hot Seat: Week 3
Former 4-star running back Clifton Richardson leaving Virginia