- Report: Stanford DC Derek Mason to be named Vanderbilt coachPosted 23 mins ago
- Ex- Wake Forest coach Jim Grobe to interview at UABPosted 1 hour ago
- Alabama’s DB coach resigns; Saban shuffles defensive staffPosted 2 days ago
- Florida State DC Jeremy Pruitt leaves for GeorgiaPosted 3 days ago
- Alabama junior safety Vinnie Sunseri declares for NFL DraftPosted 4 days ago
- UMass hires Mark Whipple as head coachPosted 5 days ago
- Report: Saban officially hires Kiffin as Bama’s offensive coordinatorPosted 7 days ago
- Western Kentucky names Jeff Brohm head coachPosted 7 days ago
- UAB head coach Garrick McGee bolts to become Louisville OCPosted 1 week ago
- Reports: James Franklin will be next Penn State coachPosted 1 week ago
Don James passes away
Legendary former University of Washington head coach Don James has passed away.
He was 81 years old.
“My family and I are extremely saddened to hear of Coach James’ passing,” current UW head coach Steve Sarkisian said in a statement. “His accomplishments as a football coach stand alone, but what made him truly special is the quality of man he was away from the game.
“The guidance and leadership he instilled into this program and community are still felt today, and will continue to be felt here for a long, long time.”
Born in Massillon, Ohio, James played college ball at Miami (Fla.). He was head coach at Kent State from 1971-74, leading the Golden Flashes to their only MAC championship and bowl game in 1972.
At Washington, he guided the Huskies to six conference titles and the 1991 national championship. James, a 1997 College Football Hall of Fame inductee, finished with a record of 153-58-2 at UW.
James’ influence goes beyond the immense impact he made at Washington. His coaching tree includes the likes of Dom Capers, Jim Mora, Sr. and Jr., Nick Saban, and Gary Pinkel, among others.
Saban played defensive back at Kent State from 1972-74 and has often given James credit for James sparking his interest in becoming a coach.
Photo credit: Bruce Kellman, Tacoma News Tribune