- Report: Stanford DC Derek Mason to be named Vanderbilt coachPosted 2 days ago
- Ex- Wake Forest coach Jim Grobe to interview at UABPosted 2 days ago
- Alabama’s DB coach resigns; Saban shuffles defensive staffPosted 3 days ago
- Florida State DC Jeremy Pruitt leaves for GeorgiaPosted 4 days ago
- Alabama junior safety Vinnie Sunseri declares for NFL DraftPosted 6 days ago
- UMass hires Mark Whipple as head coachPosted 6 days ago
- Report: Saban officially hires Kiffin as Bama’s offensive coordinatorPosted 1 week ago
- Western Kentucky names Jeff Brohm head coachPosted 1 week ago
- UAB head coach Garrick McGee bolts to become Louisville OCPosted 1 week ago
- Reports: James Franklin will be next Penn State coachPosted 1 week ago
Wyoming fires defensive coordinator Chris Tormey
Wyoming head coach Dave Christensen has fired defensive coordinator Chris Tormey effective immediately.
Christensen made the announcement Tuesday morning. Defensive line coach Jamar Cain will serve as interim defensive coordinator.
“I felt that we needed to make a change at this time to give our football team and the young men on it the best opportunity to win our remaining four regular-season games,” Christensen said in a release.
“The last two weeks, our defense has not performed up to the expectations of our coaching staff, our players, nor our fans.”
On Saturday, the Cowboys lost to San Jose State 44-41, after leading 23-7 in the second quarter. The Cowboys lost to Colorado State 52-22 on Oct. 19.
Tormey had been Wyoming’s defensive coordinator for the past two seasons. He will be paid through his contract, which expires in December.
Tormey’s 33-year coaching career includes nine seasons as a D-I head coach, at Idaho and Nevada. He joined the Wyoming staff after spending the 2011 season as Washington State’s linebackers coach.
Cain is in his seventh year as D-I assistant and joined the Cowboys staff this spring. He was previously an assistant at Cal Poly where he was part of a Big Sky Conference title in 2012.
Wyoming (4-4, 2-2 MWC) has a bye this week.
Photo credit: Alan Rogers, Laramie Star-Tribune