- Report: Stanford DC Derek Mason to be named Vanderbilt coachPosted 2 days ago
- Ex- Wake Forest coach Jim Grobe to interview at UABPosted 2 days ago
- Alabama’s DB coach resigns; Saban shuffles defensive staffPosted 3 days ago
- Florida State DC Jeremy Pruitt leaves for GeorgiaPosted 5 days ago
- Alabama junior safety Vinnie Sunseri declares for NFL DraftPosted 6 days ago
- UMass hires Mark Whipple as head coachPosted 6 days ago
- Report: Saban officially hires Kiffin as Bama’s offensive coordinatorPosted 1 week ago
- Western Kentucky names Jeff Brohm head coachPosted 1 week ago
- UAB head coach Garrick McGee bolts to become Louisville OCPosted 1 week ago
- Reports: James Franklin will be next Penn State coachPosted 1 week ago
Missouri Southern assistant shot and killed outside movie theater
Missouri Southern State offensive line coach Derek Moore was shot and killed Friday night outside of a movie theater in Joplin, Mo.
“Derek was new to Missouri Southern but he was embraced by our campus and community,” Lions coach Daryl Daye said in a statement. “He was a very likable person who always had a smile on his face and made friends easily with our staff and players. This is an unspeakable loss for the MSSU athletics family.”
The shooting occurred during Missouri Southern State’s homecoming weekend. The school cancelled the remaining homecoming activities and postponed Saturday’s game against Lindenwood.
“We are stunned and deeply saddened by this tragic incident, and our prayers are with Derek’s family,” Missouri State Interim president Alan Marble said in a statement. “We are ensuring that our employees and students have the emotional support they need during this difficult time.”
The 37-year-old Moore was shot as he was leaving the Northstar 14 Theaters at approximately 9:50 p.m.. He was taken to a hospital where he later died. Police say that a 39-year-old suspect has been arrested and is in custody.
The suspect was identified as Jeffery L. Bruner, 39, of Joplin, according to The Joplin Globe. There were no details as to what led to the shooting.
Moore is survived by a 7-year-old son.
Photo: Western Illinois Athletics