- UAB hires Jacksonville State’s Bill Clark as head coachPosted 1 month ago
- Record-setting number of players leaving early for 2014 NFL DraftPosted 1 month ago
- Report: Stanford DC Derek Mason to be named Vanderbilt coachPosted 1 month ago
- Ex- Wake Forest coach Jim Grobe to interview at UABPosted 1 month ago
- Alabama’s DB coach resigns; Saban shuffles defensive staffPosted 1 month ago
- Florida State DC Jeremy Pruitt leaves for GeorgiaPosted 1 month ago
- Alabama junior safety Vinnie Sunseri declares for NFL DraftPosted 1 month ago
- UMass hires Mark Whipple as head coachPosted 1 month ago
- Report: Saban officially hires Kiffin as Bama’s offensive coordinatorPosted 2 months ago
- Western Kentucky names Jeff Brohm head coachPosted 2 months ago
The Rumor Mill :: College Football Coaching News and Rumors – Monday, Nov. 4
Following Saturday’s 23-20 loss to Georgia, Florida is now 4-4 on the year and this week’s Vanderbilt game looms large.
If Muschamp returns (and we expect him to), expect major staff changes on the offensive side of the ball.
Dana Holgorsen and West Virginia got a much needed win over TCU on Saturday, but his status is still shaky. Most insiders believe he is in serious danger.
With his team at 4-4, the heat on Mississippi State coach Dan Mullen is rising. The Bulldogs could easily lose three of their remaining four games – and even the Arkansas game could be considered a toss-up.
Mullen is in danger of losing his job, but some believe he might be working on an exit strategy…
His name has surfaced as a potential candidate to replace the fred Paul Pasqualoni at UConn.
Former Arkansas and Ole Miss coach Houston Nutt is also interested in the job.
At Florida Atlantic, the names we hear most are former FIU head coach and current Alabama assistant Mario Cristobal, Cincinnati offensive coordinator Eddie Gran and Miami offensive coordinator James Coley.
Other names that have surfaced for the job include Ohio State defensive coordinator Luke Fickell, Texas A&M defensive coordinator Mark Snyder, former Texas defensive coordinator Manny Diaz and ex-Florida head coach Ron Zook.
CBSSports’ Jason La Canfora reported Sunday that former Bears coach Lovie Smith interviewed for the USC job. Smith denies he interviewed and says he has zero interest in the job.
Sources tell FRM that A.D. Pat Haden reached out to Jon Gruden, but that the reception was lukewarm. We’re told Gruden could end up back in Oakland where it all began.
Back to USC… The Trojans are doing exactly what we expected — looking at coaches with NFL backgrounds. We’re also told not to rule out interim coach Ed Orgeron as a serious candidate. A lot depends on oh the Trojans finish.
Florida defensive coordinator D.J. Durkin could be a serious candidate at Miami (Ohio). We’re told the RedHawks plan to stick to the their usual MO and hire an up and comer.
The heat is rising on Jim Grobe at Wake Forest. The Deacons are 4-5 and could easily finish 4-8.
Does Nebraska coach Bo Pelini have nine lives? There was some speculation that if the Huskers lost to Northwestern on Saturday that Pelini wouldn’t have a job today.
Thanks to a Ron Kellogg III-to-Jordan Westerkamp miracle Hail Mary as time expired, Pelini is safe… at least for now.
Photo: Steve Mitchell, USA Today Sports