- Report: Stanford DC Derek Mason to be named Vanderbilt coachPosted 1 hour ago
- Ex- Wake Forest coach Jim Grobe to interview at UABPosted 2 hours ago
- Alabama’s DB coach resigns; Saban shuffles defensive staffPosted 2 days ago
- Florida State DC Jeremy Pruitt leaves for GeorgiaPosted 3 days ago
- Alabama junior safety Vinnie Sunseri declares for NFL DraftPosted 4 days ago
- UMass hires Mark Whipple as head coachPosted 5 days ago
- Report: Saban officially hires Kiffin as Bama’s offensive coordinatorPosted 7 days ago
- Western Kentucky names Jeff Brohm head coachPosted 7 days ago
- UAB head coach Garrick McGee bolts to become Louisville OCPosted 1 week ago
- Reports: James Franklin will be next Penn State coachPosted 1 week ago
UAB fires two defensive staff members
Second-year UAB coach Garrick McGee has fired two members of his defensive coaching staff.
Defensive coordinator Jimmy Williams and outside linebackers coach Reggie Johnson have been let go, according to an AL.com report.
Defensive line coach Kevin Peoples is expected to remain on the staff. The status of defensive backs coaches Brandon Sharp and Matt Sanders has not yet been confirmed by AL.com.
UAB finished the season 2-10 season, following a 3-9 record in McGee’s first year.
The Blazers were last in Conference USA and 118th nationally in total defense, allowing 497.8 yards per game. UAB gave up 276.2 yards per game through the air, which ranked 117th nationally. Its 221.3 yards per game allowed on the ground was 109th nationally.
McGee announced after the season-ending 62-27 loss to Southern Miss that there would be staff changes.
Johnson and Williams came to UAB with McGee. Johnson started out as the defensive coordinator, but was demoted after UAB’s fifth game of the season and replaced by Williams.
Peoples and Sanders finished their first year on staff and Sharp finished his second season on staff.